The Wednesday Circle

"There is a time and a place for everything. I just forgot the time and the place."

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Keeping a lid on it

Ever since I moved to Japan, I've been working very hard on trying not let logic control me. It's probably been the biggest change in my life since I was born (no, that's not a misprint or a joke...). At university, I had worked so hard at trying to bring logic as a guiding infuence in my life only to realise that once I began my training here in Japan, how limiting that kind of logic is.

One of the things that I have come to see is that everything has it's place, even ways of thinking. I never realised it at the time but logic in my university days was setting me up for disaster. Not in the sense that most people think of as being a disaster but in a way that is more subtle.

Carl Jung said once that, "Before the bar of fate and nature, unconsciousness is never accepted as an excuse. In fact there are very severe penalties for it."

Perhaps the most interesting thing for me at the moment is how being unaware of your environment and what's around you (at all levels) IS the most surefire way of being aware.

Sigh... this is very, very dificult to explain.....

Sleiman

3 Comments:

  • At 10:27 PM, December 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Brother,

    Your Blog-thing is nice.
    My website is nicer.
    Whaddya think about that, eh.

    *Melissa*

     
  • At 6:49 PM, December 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey bro, i think you should read Voltaire's 'Candide'...

    Logic is a strange thing and dangerous thing. Mel says i'm in la-la-land, but i find its alot harder to pass judgement on others when logic isn't the pre-dominant guiding force. And when you don't pass judgement on others, it seems you learn alot more about people.

    Dunno if that makes sense...

    ~Kel

     
  • At 11:14 AM, December 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you look into the mirror first you are taking a step closer to learning about yourself and environment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home