The Wednesday Circle

"There is a time and a place for everything. I just forgot the time and the place."

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A reversal on the race against time

I wonder if many people are willing to believe this, though. It's something that I have been suggesting for a while now. It irritates me no end to hear people use the 'all because of religion' excuse when a conflict occurs. It 's a stock phrase that is pulled out whenever one wishes to appear knowledgable and wise.

Aah... it's so easy to be wise in hindsight but how much of that wisdom comes pre-ordered?

1 Comments:

  • At 1:46 AM, November 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're definitely right about the way that he refers to his topic. I hope you realise just how ingrained such bias is within reporting on the Arab and Muslim world.

    There are instituionalised responses and approaches to 'discussion' on most things Arabic or Muslim. Even when the intentions are good, it seems that it is almost impossible to wrench oneself away from the Orientalist mentality that forms the basis of that approach.

    I'm going to have to lend you Edward Said's Orientalism. It really is an incredible study into this 'phenomena'.

    Also, when you mentioned bias about the first quote that you used, I am assuming that it was in reference to the terminology that the writer trapped himself with (Western & Muslim) rather than the fact that a military operation may indeed cause a climate of fear and animosity.

    Also, the point that I was referring to in my initial post was the idea that it is the fault of religion (which I vehemently disagree with - in fact, I think it is a copout of immense proportions).

    As you suggested Danny, most people ARE in over their heads when it comes to this topic. I don't know why it had to be this way but it seems that it is.

    What a shame.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home