The Wednesday Circle

"There is a time and a place for everything. I just forgot the time and the place."

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

We're stuck with each other

There was a post on an internet forum the other day by a chap who was extolling the virtues of his country. Pointing out the inventions that his country had produced over the last two hundred years and the fact that his countrymen were the recipients of the majority of Nobel prizes, this fellow was a tad dumbfounded that anyone not from his country could have been offended. After all, he was 'justifiably proud'.

Human and cultural dignity is not predicated on the accumulation of successes. Every civilisation or group, has had it's share of world offerings, large or small, direct or indirect though they may be. Yet, even here, seeing value through the lens of this kind of 'success' is to put the cart before the horse. To be able to not think "I'm glad I don't live there" in front of someone, I think, is a far more personable measure of worth.

As they say, better to step back and learn to say hello to the other man, rather than to enforce a smile and walk right into him.

(By the way, this is not a post about my country or your country or his country or her country or their country or our country. It's a post about human connections.)

7 Comments:

  • At 12:23 AM, October 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We all fart.

    Some think that because they feel that they can explain the fart, their farts don't stink as much.

    It's obvious that the paradigms that we allow ourselves to operate under are very subtle. Yet, I'm of the opinion that they are not so invisible that they can't be seen, or challenged.

    One can't choose the era, the culture, or country in which they are born in yet people still attach an eternal value in the 'success' of the circumstance of their birth.

    I'm not saying that pride in country or culture is wrong but it really should just be a first step in exploration. Staying on that initial step, I think, is the cause of so many problems.

    If there really is a commonality between human culture (which is what I believe), then isn't it reasonable to believe that it lies outside of circumstance?

    Can you see why it gets my attention? Maybe it shouldn't, but it reminds of where I should avoid. I just hope to God that I am avoiding it as it's so easy to slip up and slide back in....

     
  • At 12:25 AM, October 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I will agree that I am different but consider this, I'm not talking about innovation, or country or a higher human existence.

    All I am talking about is human dignity.
    That's all.

    This has nothing to do with country whatsoever. It has nothing to do with intellectual vigour, nothing to do with economical success nor anything to do with political power.

    In fact, the only thing it has to do with is whether one man can look into another man's eye and relate to him as another human.

    It's my belief that it is THROUGH culture and pride in one's identity that one can achieve this.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, October 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude, everyone knows that Lebs do it best... hehe

     
  • At 11:31 PM, October 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're asking me the wrong question Danny but to answer what you did ask, if I narrow it down then, yes, I do consider myself Lebanese.

    I also consider myself Australian.

    What would you have me do now?

     
  • At 10:05 PM, October 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel like people limit themselves and when I see problems, often the solution that I see is based on removing those limitations.

    I guess what you may be sensing from me is frustration.

     
  • At 2:14 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger Jesse Jace said…

    STARSCREAM VOICE: Megatron! Quit being a dick!

     
  • At 2:51 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger sleiman said…

    Well, Jesse, as I told her earlier today at work, we ALL have a little Transformer inside each and every one of us.

    Starscream.... has there EVER been a more pissant, try-hard of a mutineer in the history of bad guys?

    As for Astrotrain, his bio says he's a tough guy but just look at him....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home